Visual and Performing Arts
The College of Visual and Performing Arts serves as the flagship institution for the arts in Montana. The College offers a full complement of undergraduate and graduate degrees in art, media arts, music, theatre and dance.
Points of Pride
- Undergraduate students in the School of Art, Ceramics II: Wheel Throwing class participated in their first "Community Clay" service program. Led by student intern and Art Education major Megan Fiore with Professor Galloway, the students developed and participated in eight different community-building endeavors to bring ceramics out of the Art Annex and into the community.
- Two students in the School of Media Arts worked on the full-length feature film, Winter in the Blood. Mathew Miller, a third-year MFA Digital Filmmaking student, was the Electric Intern and Mike Mathews, MFA Digital Filmmaking '12, was the Boom Operator and ADR Recordist for the film.
- Students with the School of Music Opera Theater were honored by the National Opera Association. Two of their scenes were selected to compete in the national finals of the Collegiate Opera Scenes Competition, and a UM team was judged to have performed the best undergraduate scene in the nation.
- Cohen Ambrose, UM Bertha Morton Scholar, MA Theatre and MFA Directing candidate in the School of Theatre & Dance, traveled to Toronto, Ontario in April 2013. Cohen was one of nineteen student and professional literature and theatre scholars invited to present at the American Comparative Literature Association Conference. Cohen presented his paper on Bertolt Brecht, "Bodies Neither Here nor There: Mapping the Terrain(s) of the Verfremdung."
UM Foundation Support
- The UM Foundation raises support for UMArts' top priority, student success.
- Private dollars provide scholarships for students based on talent and need, critical facilities enhancements and opportunities for students to travel or learn from visiting professional artists.
- The Grand Campaign, which took place in 2012, provided funds to purchase a new Steinway concert grand piano for the College.
- Generous donor support funded the development of the Media Arts facility. Learn more about this effort.
To make a gift to the College of Visual and Performing Arts today, please fill out the form below.
To find out how to support The College of Visual and Performing Arts, contact Christian Gold Stagg, Director of Development, UM Arts.