Visual and Performing Arts
The College of Visual and Performing Arts serves as the flagship institution for the arts in Montana. The College offers a full complement of undergraduate and graduate degrees in art, media arts, music, theatre and dance.
Points of Pride
- For over a decade, Music Education Graduates have enjoyed a 100% professional placement rate within a year of graduation. Art Education graduates also have a 100% professional placement rate.
- Last year UMArts faculty were invited to lecture and exhibit in more than half the states in the US and on every continent except Antarctica (we’ll get to it!)
- The Montana Repertory Theatre - the resident professional company that trains UM theatre students working alongside professional artists - has been invited to present its acclaimed production of To Kill a Mockingbird at the 2017 Meet in Beijing Festival in China.
- UM Music Students in the Missoula Piano Trio placed third in the nation at the MTNA (Music Teachers National Association) Young Artist String Chamber Music competition in San Diego. The trio was coached by Professor Steven Hesla.
- The short documentary Everyone In Between, created by a team of Media Arts Students, premiered at the SlamDance Film Festival in Park City Utah, where it received awards for best original score, best editing, best directing and best LGBTQ film in the festival’s Fusion Doc Challenge.
- UM offers the only graduate degree in Integrated Arts Education in the nation. Putting the “A” (Arts) in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, ARTS, and math) is at the forefront of efforts to elevate US public education.
UM Foundation Support
- The UM Foundation raises support for UMArts' top priority - student success.
- Private dollars provide scholarships for students based on talent and need, critical facilities enhancements and opportunities for students to travel or learn from visiting professional artists.
- Last year, students in the College of Visual and Performing Arts received $364,516 in scholarships.
To make a gift to the College of Visual and Performing Arts today, please fill out the form below.
To find out how to support the College of Visual and Performing Arts, contact Cate Sundeen, Director of Development.