Qualified Charitable Distribution

A tax-wise gift from your individual retirement account (IRA)

Generally, individuals age 70½ or older can transfer up to $100,000 directly from their individual retirement account to support the University of Montana each year without paying federal income tax on the withdrawal.

How it Works

  • You must be age 70½ or older at the time the gift is made.
  • Qualified Charitable Distributions count toward satisfying your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year of the gift.
  • Generally, you may give up to $100,000 per year. For couples, each spouse may give up to $100,000 from their respective IRAs.
  • Your IRA administrator must transfer the distribution directly to the charity. It is important not to withdraw funds before making the gift.
  • Qualified Charitable Distributions are not counted as income for federal income tax purposes.

Contact Us to Learn More

Alison SchultzContact Director of Planned Giving, Alison Schultz at 406-243-5121 or alison.schultz@supportum.org with any questions about making a charitable IRA rollover gift to benefit the University of Montana. We're happy to help!

The Office of Planned Giving provides information about the benefits of planned gifts and does not provide any legal, financial or tax advice. We encourage you to talk with your advisors who are familiar with your specific situation to determine the benefits to you.