Qualified Charitable Distribution
A tax-wise gift from your individual retirement account (IRA)
Generally, individuals age 70½ or older can transfer up to $100,000 directly from their individual retirement account to support the University of Montana each year without paying federal income tax on the withdrawal.
How it Works
- You must be age 70½ or older at the time the gift is made.
- Qualified Charitable Distributions count toward satisfying your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year of the gift.
- Generally, you may give up to $100,000 per year. For couples, each spouse may give up to $100,000 from their respective IRAs.
- Your IRA administrator must transfer the distribution directly to the charity. It is important not to withdraw funds before making the gift.
- Qualified Charitable Distributions are not counted as income for federal income tax purposes.
Contact Us to Learn More
Contact Director of Planned Giving, Alison Schultz at 406-243-5121 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about making a charitable IRA rollover gift to benefit the University of Montana. We're happy to help!